"And now the lost, be welcomed home by the saved and redeemed, those adopted as your own. Let now our hearts burn with a flame, a fire consuming all for your son's holy name."
-Saviour King by United
As I sat at Starbucks the other day, reading, waiting for my disabled clients to arrive, a man walked up to me and asked me if I could spare some change for him. My immediate analysis of this man was that he was another homeless man looking for money to get some booze and get drunk. I told him I didn't have any change to spare and so he walked around and asked other people passing by if they could spare change. He came back to where I was sitting and started talking, but not to anyone in particular, just talking. Suddenly it hit me, this man was lonely, all he's looking for is someone to listen, someone to care. And so I turn my chair around and acknowledge him, and he begins to tell me his story. He was an engineer back in New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina. When Katrina struck New Orleans he had lost his home, his cars, and his land. He only received a small amount of relief money, compared to the thousands of dollars he was now in debt with from his job being destroyed and bills that he was not able to pay as a result of it. He hitchhiked all the way from New Orleans and was trying to get to a friend who lived in San Francisco to see if he could get work. For about 30 minutes we talked, more so I listened, as he told me stories of him back in New Orleans, his rusted voice resonating with nostalgia from a few years ago of what it was like before the hurricane and what it was like after. I reached in my back pocket and pulled out a twenty dollar bill and gave it to that man. I could feel his appreciation instantly as he thanked me. He got up and went to walk into Subway to get some food, and as he went turn and walk he looked at me with sincerely thankful eyes and said, "I will remember you." "What's your name?" I asked the man. "My name's Ron." "Well my name's Michael." "Pleasure to meet your Michael." "God bless Ron." "Thank you." And with that he headed into Subway to get a much needed meal.
Hours later I was walking around with my disabled clients and saw 3 young teenagers. Their clothes were worn, their eyes seemed a bit tired from traveling. I walked up to them and introduced myself. We got to talking and I found out that Evan was from Minnesota, Natasha was from Maine, and Adam was from Los Angeles. All three hop freight trains as a way of getting around the country. They told me stories, of how they got to doing this. I simply listened, didn't judge them or try to force any spiritual formulas on them, just loved them and accepted them. I also found out the food they were eating was from a dumpster. They didn't have much money and were waiting for another freight train to take them to LA that would be leaving on Sunday. I pulled out a twenty dollar bill and gave it to them and offered them my place to shower, freshen up, and cook them a hot meal. After work they came with me and made themselves at home. My roommates Brandon, George and Janet joined in and offered their food and cooked as well. They loved them and accepted them. I found a box of clothes I had not unpacked yet from my move and told them to pick whatever they wanted. You could see it, the feeling of being accepted, of feeling like they mattered in their eyes and subtle smiles. They were so happy to be watching tv, Evan told me that it had been so long since he watched "The Simpsons", one of his favorite shows. Adam was in awe playing the Wii, he had never played it before. Natasha and I talked about music and how you can only take so much grindcore music before you have to listen to another genre of music. Later on that night I came home from church with a ton of chocolate bars for them, I figured they could use a sugar rush. They ended up staying the night, and as I was about to head to bed I asked if there was anything else I could do, Adam looked up at me and said "you've done so much, we're all thankful for your hospitality." And with that I said goodnight and headed to bed. But before I dozed off, God spoke to my heart and through silence I heard his words, "This is what it means to be My hands, My feet. This is what it means to feed my sheep. This is how you say you love ME. This is how you build a community, this is how you lead people back to ME."
The next day I woke up early to head out to the city to visit my brother. I had a feeling I wouldn't be seeing them when I got home so I wrote them a letter. It was nothing fancy, but sincere. I told them how much I enjoyed their company, their conversations, and how glad I was that they could share a part of their lives with me and my roommates. I also told them that I would keep them in my prayers, and that God truly loves each on of them.
After a long day I came home to find a letter from each of them, my heart smiled at their words, reminding me that what you do....echoes in eternity.
Dez,
I can't thank you enough for your hospitality. Having a warm place to stay and shower can definitely make a huge difference. I was feeling pretty burnt out, sitting in the same place for days, and I'm definitely ready to face the world (and the train yard) again. I don't have anything for you other than my thanks but it is sincere and your kindness is truly appreciated. At times people can be cruel, and it's folks like you who restore my faith in humanity. Take care, I'll drop you a line on my space. Thank you so much!
Natasha
Yo Dez thank you sooo much. I patched up my pants so I left the other ones here. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
Adam
Thank you again for your never-ending kindness in bringing us in and having us as your guests. We'll surely never forget your generosity and be sure to keep in touch. Keep the faith up, man.
Evan
P.S. Your roommates are great too, give them our thanks, especially Janet for the bag of food!
"I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me."
-Matthew 25:35&36
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Hey, I'm not on Myspace much these days, but came across your blog. Good post! It's amazing what you can do if you take 5 minutes out of your day and listen to someone, help pick someone up who's down, eh? Can only imagine what it would be like if only 10% of the world did that...
Dude, what got me was just how the guys hadn't watched TV in years, or played the Wii ever. Things we take for granted (and indulge in). I wonder: what you did for these people and how they responded, is there any difference between that and the miracles Jesus does for people? Think how much more he has for all of us. (I can't wait to play heaven's version of the Wii!)
wow, dez, this is awesome. it's amazing how much we take for granted and how quickly we pass by those who are not as well off as ourselves, and worse, labeling them "crazy", or "drunk", without even taking the time to say hello or even offer a quick smile. Like you, i don't like handing out money to random people, but when i was in the city a lot i'd buy a bunch of hamburgers and food and just hand it out. It wasn't exactly home cooked, but every bit helps <3
I miss you dez! God bless you & thanks for the inspiration, my heart was getting hard. I needed that ;)
so encouraging :) I really mean that!
And lovely to hear from you again. Keep up the good work.
xox
bro, wow. this reminds me of the time i almost got my face punched in in palo alto and then we took the homeless guy in charissa's car to the grocery store, and you thought he was going to try to pull something on us. it's good to see there are good people out there, that are just struggling to get by
Dez, honey, I swear you can bring me to tears with how wonderful you are. I'm no where near as good, and I don't have the cash to give around, and the only people off the street I've ever helped only asked me if they could repay me in weed... I've always felt so awful when I see someone and I deny them something because I think the same way, that thier a drunk, or that I'll just be such a chicken and freak out if I'm alone and wonder "is this person going to hurt me? Is it okay to be so scared?", you've made me realize that I shouldn't be so negative and that sometimes I can just be wrong to jump the gun and judge, I may not be albe to speak to people alone, but with friends like you backing me up, I know I don't have to be afriad anymore. I take so much for granted, I just hope that someday, maybe when I'm a little older and don't have to be so chicken, I can do something for someone, and be as wonderful as you... you give me hope that maybe I won't have to turn my heart away forever, and that when I'm ready, I can except my faith back into my heart again. Thank you, for giving me not only hope, but such an amazing friend, even though you barely know me, and I don't get to see you as often as I'd want, Thank you.
much friend love
-kiley
Post a Comment