Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Something to talk about

I recently watched a debate with Craig Gross (Pastor/Founder of XXXChurch.com) and Ron Jeremy, who is an infamous porn star. Their lines of arguments were strong and well thought out. What really intrigued me was when Craig Gross said that pornography creates a false sense of reality, and the end result is we try to bring that reality into our lives and are disappointed, tempted with lust, tempted to re-enact these fantasies, and in many cases this leads to sexually committed crimes. One woman in the audience stood up and asked Craig that if creating a false sense of reality produces a negative impact on society, is all types of fantasy (i.e. Mythology, Hollywood, Literature, etc.) wrong? You have Christians that have no problem seeing a movie such as "Transformers", The Bourne Identity (all 3 films) "Saving Private Ryan" or "Lord of the Rings", which contain a strong amount of violence, gore, one of them containing sorcery and mysticism. No big disputes raised against these films, these types of fantasies, with the exception of "Saving Private Ryan" being based on a true story but dramatized by Hollywood producers, but red flags and all sorts of alarms go off at the hint of a pornographic film, let alone a sex scene in a mainstream Hollywood movie. Couldn't it be argued that films like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Lord of the Rings" encourage people as well to make fantasy reality, that they induce people to commit crimes or dabble in witchcraft? If so, it could be argued that the issue would not be the content, but the discretion or lack of discretion the viewer is advising his or her-self. Is content the main issue, or is character and discipline of the mind?


I want to be clear that I am not advocating the advancement of pornography, Nor am I saying we should make legislation to ban it. I am simply opening up the forum to hear your thoughts and welcome them all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

to justify:to declare innocent or guiltless,to show (an act, claim, statement, etc.) to be just or right.
this is the issue. not the content of films we watch.
it comes down to the fact that if someone likes something, that others say is wrong, perverse, immoral unjust or mindfully harmful, then they wish to justify it.
we are all guilty of this at some point in our lives.
due to the fact that this is a comment, meaning my opinion,
ill say that i believe that both are wrong in some manner, not one more than the other. you cannot justify one and not the other.
why do we get a sense of wrong doing from pornography and not from killing? if watching porn is harmful because it creates desires that are harmful, then we must agree that watching films with violence are harmful due to the statistics of murder in our society.

nitsuj said...

Oooh, I like this post, good brain fodder. I'd personally argue that violent films are MORE harmful to society than porn. It's a hard wired desire to pass on your genes, but I don't think the same can be said of killing.

Anonymous said...

it's really hard to debateon something like this. in my experience it has been more of porn and other such "dirty movies" that cause more harm to people I know, I've never really watched a porno (thank god) so I can't really side with that at all, but with scary movies and gore and magic, the worst I've ever seen is one of my friends becoming a total D & D freak... and whats really wrong with that?

my real stand on the issue is the more you try and ban something, the more it gets out and the more dangerous it actually becomes. But, in another thing, everyone in the world, even the most righteous, having had dirty thoughts, or even murderous thoughts. 27% of the population has homicidal tendancies- but not all of them become murderers, do they? not ever one has the mentality that everyone else in the remaining 73% are just victims. I agree with anonymous, that both are bad to a certian degree, but there is another issue that I think I should address is that, with the amount of videos avaliable, wouldn't you think that some of those people with that kind of tendancy- the want to go and do something horrific to a child or the desire to kill your boss- it's quelled with the video. Everyone has had a thought or two about killing someone, you cannot deny that, and some people just go a little crazy, and some cannot stop their sexual urges and things that compell them to act in a certian way, I mean, sometimes the videos just help quell a litttle murderous part of you that wants out. and for most of us, it never will get out, and I think thats something to look forward to. the same with sex, most won't do that horrible thing, some will, but the video may stop others.

i'm not advocating pornography (and I love horror flicks and zombie slaughters)in fact, I rightly down cast all porn that involves things used simply for cash, maybe if it had some type of purpose, I'd feel better. I don't know, maybe I've gone all off track once again like I always do, I hope your can discover something I n my word jumble, heh

<3
-kiley